Tetter's 2010 EOY Challenge
Well I couldn't quite let this go so I went ahead and modified the factory enclosure by making it skinnier and covering the back with some sheet styrene. I sealed up the speaker and enclosure with some clear silicone. I'm happy to report that it slid under the decoder at the front perfectly. The sound coming from that little speaker was instantly 10x's better!

I also discovered a way to fit an LED and resistor in that small space at the front as well by making the leads of the LED and resistor incredibly short for starters. I then soldered the (-) lead of the LED directly to the soldering pad on the decoder. I then soldered one end of the resistor directly to the common lead on the decoder and then ran a small wire from that to (+) lead on the LED. I all neatly tucked underneath the decoder. I was able to angle the light as well to get it to point at the headlight lens to improve the light at the front.

No pictures... sorry... I was too involved and on a mission last night in order to have it ready to take to the club tonight. I promise I'll remove the shell later this week and take a few snap shots to show what I did.

That said, does anyone have any suggestions on how to repair the clips that hold the shell on to the frame? I broke one of them a while back and well, broke another one last night. They are not exactly the most durable little plastic bits and a rather flimsy way to attach the body to the frame. But I digress...

Messages In This Thread