Athearn blue box
Les....What I've done with the few diesels I have is to ignore the start-up voltage (CV3) and just leave it at it's default value. Nowadays diesels start at such a low voltage that you don't need any "kick". I concentrate on CV5 - high top speed, and CV6 - midrange speed. The most critical CV here is CV6, since it'll affect your low speed as well. Try the following:

1. Do a reset to default values. Set CV8 to a value of 08. This will also reset the loco number to 03. I just leave it at that 'till I'm finished messing with the other two CV's.
2. Set CV5 to determine your engine's top speed (so it doesn't run at hyper-warp speed at the top throttle setting). This will fall at around 150-175 +/-, depending on how fast you like to see your locos run.
3. Set CV6 somewhere around its mid-range value (125/130 +/-).

Now give it a try. It should run nicely. Mess around with the value of CV6 to the point where there's a nice smooth transition from low speed to medium. Once you have that set up to your liking, you can set the values of CV's 3 (accelerating momentum), and CV4 (decelerating momentum).
That's all it takes to get a nicely running diesel. Don't forget to set your engine number to whatever you use before putting it back to work.
All of this supposes that you have no electrical issues as mentioned above. Luckily I haven't had to deal with this.

Hope this helps...
Gus (LC&P).

Messages In This Thread