Using The ShipIt! Computer Program On An ISL
Gary S Wrote:How about this:
That's an interesting concept there Gary. Might have to give that a shot and see how it works. I keep feeling like there is a way to make it work as I would expect, but just haven't found it yet. As it is right now, I've gone back to having the feed mill setup with 2 car spots. With my limited train length, it seems to work okay about half the time. Works out good if I have 2 cars at the mill - 1 gets pulled and another gets spotted.

I'll keep playing with ShipIt and see what I can do with it, but I think there are just too many prototype situations that it can't duplicate so once the ISL is officially in operation, I may just do my own thing. I probably expect too much from this program having working in the industry. Over all I think it's pretty darn good for most model railroad situations, just takes some fine tuning as you set it up.

As I mentioned in my last posting, in many cases just picking out an inbound car for each industry then placing and pulling a car at each industry results in a nice 45 minute to 1 hour operating session without having any need for a switch list. Some times I'll just bring 1 or 2 cars on to the spur and pull 3 or 4 or vice versus. Can throw in other random situations if the mood strikes, such as holding a car to be spotted the next session.

I'd never given any thought to more than just operating the layout by myself, but a friend dropped by this evening and we operated layout with him being engineer and me the conductor and we had a ball. He's been planing something on the order of a 4x16 foot round and round HO layout, but now is interested in doing something similar to what I'm doing, not to mention going to DCC. We have an ISL convert!!!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread