Norfolk Southern are painted black...but which one?
Hi Guys,

I'm currently working on my second attempt at kitbashing a GP30 high hood in current NS colors. After learning what not to do on my first attempt, I'm trying to improve on this second try. (It sure would be easier if Atlas would just make a high hood...but I digress...)

I've been pouring over pictures of current NS engines and can't figure this one out on my own. Exactly what color "black" is NS using nowadays? Some of their engines look like a glossy black was used, while others look more like a satin finish. Still others look more of a dull black. Is there a variance between paint shops that I just don't know about? I understand a photo can be affected by the amount or lack of sunlight, cloud cover, even humidity...but most of the pictures I've been looking at make it seem that the engines being delivered or reburb'd are coming off the line with a glossy black paint job.

Since this engine would be a repaint of a Southern high hood GP30, I'd like to color it in the most current decals and paint. (Plus, I really like that showroom new paint job when an engine is brand new or just refurbished.) So, I'm asking all you NS experts out there...what is the best choice for NS black engine paint?

Thanks! Thumbsup
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Messages In This Thread