MRC Decoder with Sound for Kato SD70MAC
Just for grins, I sent a copy of my "Letter to the Editor" to MRC to see if they had any comments. Below is my email to them and their response. It is almost too funny. To even think that they would market a sound product that they expected to be heard a whopping "almost 1 foot away" is borderline criminal.....and then it better be a silent running mechanism in your locomotive and in a dead silent room.
dwight77

----- Original Message -----
To: DWIGHT SEDGWICK
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:46 AM
Subject: Re: MRC Decoder with sound

due to the speaker size needed for n scale the volume is not going to be that loud
normally you should be able to hear the prime mover up to almost 1 foot away...the bell and horn up to 2 feet..this also depends on gear train/mechanism noise from the loco and how quiet the room is.
if you need more volume you can use a bigger 8 ohm speaker if you can find room for it inside the loco
we can not supply a huge speaker with the decoder, because it needs to be made so everyone can install it without any major modifications to the loco

----- Original Message -----
To: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:rrtech@modelrectifier.com">rrtech@modelrectifier.com</a><!-- e -->
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:39 PM
Subject: MRC Decoder with sound

To: Model Rectifier Corp.

Having read two reviews in Model Railroad News which combined N Scale Kato Diesel locomotives (SD80 & SD45) with your specifically designed train decoders with sound, I was hoping for a great outcome when I purchased your #1644 decoder with sound specifically designed for my Kato SD70 locomotive.
Unfortunately, I have not had a good experience and I wrote a "Letter to the Editor" at Model Railroad News (copy below).
I felt it necessary to also send a copy of the letter to you as it is your decoder I tried to use. I would appreciate any suggestions or guidance you might provide. Your decoder was truly easy to install and it ran the locomotive fine, there just is not any volume to the sound.
Dwight Sedgwick

Messages In This Thread