Track plan help?
Andrew,

All encumbrances on the room are indicated by the dimension lines. The area on the bottom is all open (however, marital politics says that I can not have rights to that real estate), except where the lines are. The north side of the layout appears to sit only 18" from a wall, but in reality it is closer to 26".
The yard is important to operations. The time period is the early to mid 40's, and one of the many hearts of the US WWII war effort was just a few miles south of, and directly connceted to the yard. I know that I can not model the factories, but I can show the products moving through the yard.

My operational goals are hard to define. I am looking for a balance between switching and scenic mainline running, as well as modeling the town I grew up in, and the line I used to work on. I have seen the layout you posted the link to. It is ingenius. I don't know how I would be able to use it. That requires bulletproof tracks and turnouts. I need to be able to easily reach those risky areas.
Mine is to be operated as a p2p with a continuous run option (sometimes I just want to see the trains go).
I am probably going to revert to the staging that Squidbait had designed, and move the current yard down along the west side, and shorten it up. My longest train will be a through passenger consist of 5 cars being pulled by an AB lashup. The freight will be short consists of 6/7 40-50 footers behind a berkshire, or a mikado.
At this point, I think I need to work on some other aspect for a bit while I mull it over.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.

Messages In This Thread