Backdrop - Houston Skylines
O.K. ... let's hope I can remember each of the points I wanted to respond to. It's morning and my thoughts, while what I had considered important enough to respond to will not be organized in a chronological order ... just remembering them all at this point will take some kind of magic.

The "plastic grid stuff" used for yarn art (often a type cross stitch using yarns) is called scrim. Source: crafts store ... good idea Ralph or whoever it was but the space between the "windows" is not wide enogh and the windows are too large in comparison.

Gary, your original plan, including building a tape grid will, I believe, yield the results that you seek, as well as maintain a "continuity of look" to your backdrop. To handpaint here, use matte finished photos there and a mixed media collage in still another location will not, I don't think, give you the homogeonous appearance of the "indication of real life" in miniature that you are shooting for (can I still say that?)

Remember, this is not a piece of art to hang in your personal gallery at home or on your office wall, but a backdrop to the main event - your trains on the tracks in the 3-D scenery that you have painstakingly fabricated and installed. It should, as its name implies, be a "backdrop" ... in the background.

I just think that inconsistancies of media, detail level, style and the like will detract from each overall scene by drawing attention to itself. In essence, you want the casual viewer not to notice the "backdrop," but instead to concentrate his gaze on the railraod that runs before him.

Just one man's foggy early morning thoughts over a blend of Columbian and French Roast coffees with a splash of heavy cream and a half-ounce of Amaretto in a Reading Lines mug, while perusing the most recent Big Blue posts of interest.

... and now the scrim appears before I finish my many proof reads ... cool!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread