Bashing A Brass USRA 0-8-0
Hello Folks!

Sometimes you can made a draught out of the electronic bay:

[Image: dsc03302zkmg.jpg]

[Image: dsc0330618j3.jpg]

Initally i was searching for an P2K USRA 0-8-0. Only a very limited number of choices was on offer at that time. None of the offered P2K engines was right. All og them were used and had seen life of were battered in some aspects.
Untill i discovered this brass loco. It was unrun in an as near as new condition and the price was o.k. So why not?

There will be some work to do untill this switcher will be added to my ET&N stock.
On first test run i found this is a very smooth runner. No binds, a silent move on clean even track.

[Image: dsc03686hqjz.jpg]
A first overlook reveals this. A Canon can motor, the ordinary rubber tube and a surprise. A kind of an nose-suspended traction motor.
A brass angle is mounted direct to the gearbox and for this reason there is no movement between worm shaft and motor shaft.
And for this the old stiff rubber tube still runs "round". A second bar also mounted on the gearbox bears with an spring to the main frame.

The wheel profile is according RP25 Code93 Confusedhock: :!:

That is "as bought".
To do (at a first glance):
- replacing the rubber tube with universal joints
- 8-pin NMRA socket for converting to DCC
- current pick up from all wheel of loco and tender; this is a switcher and will be used as switcher.
- completing some details
- bridge loco to tender
- lighting by LEDs
- colour
- lettering
- and some more as needed

Lutz

Messages In This Thread