Shamrock Ave. Ft. Worth, TX
Justin has a point as far as the 15 inch radius curve. You can operate some 50ft cars on a curve that tight, but you'd have to be careful as to what models you used. As for motive power, the BLI NW-2 is great, but it has a recommended minimum radius of 18 inches, as will most HO locomotives of that size. I just took a close look at mine and have my doubts about it operating reliably on a curve that tight. You'd probably have to go with a GE 70 ton as your largest power.

As for the era, I'd go with the late 60's - plenty of suitable models available as far as gons and tank cars that are in the 40ft length range and 40ft box cars would still be quite common. I checked the web page for Jahn's supply and looks like they deal in cast iron and steel pipe and fittings, so gons and box cars would be suitable for that industry. You could also go with a layout based in the early 50's and use small steam power (0-4-0 or 0-6-0) if that doesn't bother you.

As I mentioned in my previous posting, IF you did go with N scale, you could really capture the look of this spur and of course the 15 inch radius curve (if needed) would be a wide radius curve in N scale. I haven't tried to work up an N scale version of this spur, but in my mind I could see eliminating the turn back curve completely and use the right side of the space for staging, with the spur branching off and going through the structures as on the prototype spur. You could also have another industry or two on the main part of the plan. Something to think about.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread