No One Remembers
Sumpter250 Wrote:I strongly suspect that the above statement wasn't learned in a public school. It's been an age since I last heard reference to it, and it's not the only time leaders of that era, thought in those terms.
We, as Americans, have a lot to be proud of, but there are still..... "skeletons in our closet".

You are correct sir, but to be fair, some of the docuements and materials relevant to that part of history have only recently been "discovered". That said, no one was too keen on digging it up until recently either. I've been reading the book "The Imperial Cruise" by James Bradley (Same author as Flags of Our Fathers, which was made into a movie a few years ago).

Apparently, Theodore Roosevelt very much liked the Japanese compared to other Asian cultures since he thought they could be brought up to nearly "Western" standards. There are quite a few political cartoons that show Japanese in "Civilized" clothing (top hats, coats and the like), compared to China and Korea, who have their "savage" traditional clothes.

Teddy Roosevelt gets painted with a MUCH rosier picture in history classes than he really deserves. People focus on his "Live Vigorously" or "Rough Rider" or "speak softly with a big stick" or "preservationist" areas. It may surprise many that alot of the land Roosevelt "preserved" was not for nature, but to prevent mindless destruction of resources until they could be properly extracted. Very few places did he intend to remain wilderness.

It is interesting to me how a lot of that time period of US history gets glossed over.

Somewhat relevant to the conversation, the big White cruiser behind me is the USS Olympia, the Flagship of the Pacific fleet in the Spanish American war. This ship was at the tip of the spear when the US was looking to the Far East. Its a shame that this ship is probably doomed. The musuem who owns her has run out of money, and she needs to be drydocked and repaired (a million dollar operation). She hasn't been out of the water in 60 years, and the Delaware River around her would need to be dredged to get her out. Several groups are vying for her, Some want her to stay in Philadelphia, Others in Washington DC, South Carolina, and even San Francisco (I'd like to see them tow that ship out there!). If it were not for her double hull, water would have penetrated and sunk the ship already. At low tide, water pours out of rusted out pockets.

To think she was once the abosolute height of Naval warship technology! Now she is the last of the "Great White Fleet" and nearly forgotten.

[Image: 168177_448861619363_730689363_5049806_7614406_n.jpg]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread