Sailormatlac 2012 Resolution Challenge
mountaingoatgreg Wrote:Matt,

Moving right along!!

That sure is a fancy building for woodchips, most of the ones I have seen in Oregon are like the one from Walthers, a large overhead bin with doors that open on the bottom. Have you thought of a design for your woodchip loader? I have seen a huge variety of designs out there, so you will have lots of options.

Also one thing, it is the Spokane Portland & Seattle Railroad Thumbsup Most of the first woodchip cars were just gondolas with wooden extensions added to them, I know most of the Western railroads in the USA had some sort of variation on the theme.

Keep up the great work!!

Thanks Greg! I knew I inversed the cities name!! A lovely road. That right, it is a rather fancy building. I don't knwo if climate asked for a covered shed. I'll keep the woodchip loader simple, maybe just a kind of hose going through the upper level and supported by a steel structure as depicted in May 1976 RMC issue, p. 51 (picture by Tony Koester). It was Laurel Bank sawmill in West Viriginia.

Other question. On the Google Earth picture of the actual sawmill, there's a ramp for the forklift. Did such ramp existed in the 1950's? It seems to be mobile.

Honestly, I don't know what CN used back then. My web-based searches were fruitless. I guess Doctorwayne of CN Nut have an idea about it. If I don't find nothing good enough, I'll use a 55-ton hopper with steel extensions and letter to QRL&PCo. Their freight cars were getting old at this time, they could have been converted at any moment. Western Maryland had a few like this. I wouldn't be surprised that CNR used old wood boxcar for this purpose. Removing the top of an Accurail cars could be a good option too.

I remember these CN Rail woodchip cars were a staple on every freight trains in my area. But a little bit too modern for my era. The Walthers version just don't do justice to the CN prototype (ours had small doors in the middle of the car).

[Image: img_878281.jpg]

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread