Poll: How old are you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0-20
1.69%
1 1.69%
21-40
23.73%
14 23.73%
41-60
45.76%
27 45.76%
61-80
27.12%
16 27.12%
81+
1.69%
1 1.69%
Total 59 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The future of model railroading.
Sumpter250 Wrote:
pgandw Wrote:. For N, a true-to-scale 1870s 4-4-0 that runs well is quite a technical achievement. just my thoughts and experiences, Fred

If the technology now exists for "T" scale locomotives, anything larger should now be a "piece of cake"!
That said, it becomes a matter of just how much "detail" you are willing to sacrifice, to model that era in that scale.
I can put a lot of detail into a 1/700 scale ship model, but that detail doesn't have to "move"! :o 357

Mountainman wrote:" IOW - do it myself, which I'm already faced with and which does not alter in any way the fact that the early days of railroading have been ignored "

"do it myself" AKA Scratch building/ kit bashing, has been a major component in this hobby, for longer than I have been in it.
Even with all that is currently available, there are still many things that have to be scratch built, because they do not exist in kit, or RTR form. Reproducing these things, in scale, is really the heart and sole of the hobby of model railroading, as it is for just about any modeling hobby.
When everything that could be possibly conceived, becomes available as RTR, the "hobby" will cease to be Model Railroading, and become Miniature Railroading. As far as I am concerned, may that day never come!!

Yep...which is what I have been saying for some time now.

However, the issue wasn't do-it-yourself-, but "The N-Scale Lost Era Of Modeling". 8-)

Messages In This Thread