Poll: How old are you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0-20
1.69%
1 1.69%
21-40
23.73%
14 23.73%
41-60
45.76%
27 45.76%
61-80
27.12%
16 27.12%
81+
1.69%
1 1.69%
Total 59 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The future of model railroading.
MountainMan Wrote:Pretty much the same reply as before, just differently worded. IOW - do it myself, which I'm already faced with and which does not alter in any way the fact that the early days of railroading have been ignored by N-scale. But if you're right about lack of information and photos, how is it that the larger scales have that information and can produce earlier versions? I don't think that reasoning holds up, since even subscribers to NG&SLG routinely post builders' drawings of 19th century rolling stock and locos. Enough information exists from the Civil War alone to satisfy that requirement. Bachmann itself still issues a 2-4-0 Prairie loco from the 1800's, and cars to go with it - but no caboose - as a starter set, and it's a nice looking set for the money. So they can do it, but apparently don't wish to.

I did not say there was a lack of information about earlier eras. What I said was examples from the 1920s and later still exist without being changed by restoration. With these, manufacturers can get somewhat accurate colors and paint schemes, and placement of fittings and accessories. Unless an old photo is dated or was taken as the car or loco left the builders, and the model is specified as such, there is significant risk that details will be wrong when compared to other photographs. Steam locos and wood cars were rebuilt extensively during their lives, often changing their appearance. It shows in different photos of the same subject. On30, because it's already compromised on gauge, gets away with a lot more whimsical or generic production than would sell in the HOn3 market.

Yes, you will have to build or bash your own models (or join together and commission model production) to get accurate models of early rail, especially in N. There just aren't enough souls modeling that era to justify large scale RTR plastic production. I had hoped that the Civil War 150 year anniversary would create more interest in early rail, like the 100 year anniversary did in the early 1960s. But I don't see much attention to the Civil War in the mainstream media, nor production of any models or movies or TV shows. The old geezers do their re-enactments (or play with their toy trains), and the rest of the country could care less.

my thoughts, your choices
Fred W

Messages In This Thread