Poll: How old are you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0-20
1.69%
1 1.69%
21-40
23.73%
14 23.73%
41-60
45.76%
27 45.76%
61-80
27.12%
16 27.12%
81+
1.69%
1 1.69%
Total 59 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The future of model railroading.
Sumpter250 Wrote:
pgandw Wrote:The better Chinese-made steam production didn't start until the late '90s. Blackstone has done very high quality Chinese builds for HOn3 - and chased MMI out of HOn3 because of the better out-of-the box experience. Of course, there are no diesels to compare in HOn3.
Feel free to disagree. I gave my analysis, and so far I'm sticking to it.

There are a couple of 4-wheel HOn3 diesel kits, and there are 3' gauge diesels, but yes, to my knowledge there are no RTR models of these available to compare.
I did go so far as to model an HOn3 Gas Electric, and it usually runs fairly well....the chassi is a modified N scale diesel.

You are right, I did mean RTR. But I love your examples. And to add to the list, beyond the Grandt diesel kits, there have been brass models made of the WP&Y shovel-nose. There have also been conversions of standard gauge diesels available from time to time. There is some thought that a standard gauge conversion could be a relatively inexpensive way to get started in narrow gauge. And of course, HOn30 took narrow gauge diesels to another level, using N chassis and free-lance bodies. On30 has followed the same path with conversion bodies for Bachmann mechanisms. I've also seen conversions of the Egger-Bahn HOn30 Plymouth to HOn3 - MR even had an article about it.

A good starting point for a Class A Climax model is a diesel-style mechanism, as Roundhouse so famously proved. I've often thought of using portions of the NWSL Keystone Shay mechanism as the starting point for a semi-scratched Class A Climax.

just my thoughts and experiences
Fred W
....modeling foggy coastal Oregon, where it's always 1900....
Chief Engineer, Wiper, Bottle Washer, and Jack of All Trades for:
Picture Gorge & Western Railway - HO
Port Orford & Elk River Railway & Navigation Co - HOn3

Messages In This Thread