I'm beginning to like this place.
Once a month I go to a friend's house and a group of us (11 this month) operate his railway.
He has 2 rooms in his basement. One has a pit and a double-track loop with an intricate junction that feeds 3 balloons in the other room. In the other room is a scale model of Windermere station in England. He's been building this for near 40 years.
We operate Windermere to a 1950s timetable. At the appropriate time, a train is dispatched onto the rest of the layout or a train is received from the rest of the layout, turned around or has a new engine assigned. We don't operate to a clock (yet) but try to keep the train movements in sequence.
The guys in the pit try to keep the trains running without crashing at the junction but with the expectation that every so often several trains will pass the junction at the same time.
Over the 40 years, the layout has had one major redesign/rebuild. Windermere advanced from just tracks to a station with platforms and buildings a few years ago. One current project is adding signals.

Another member of our club decided to specialize his modelling - he selected one class of locomotive and made models of it in all possible scales. Last I saw, he was working at a scale of either 1" to the foot or 1.5" to the foot.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.

Messages In This Thread