Trucklover's 2009 Resolution Challenge ~~ P1
Well i decided since i cant do anything else right now, i would start building some panels for the yard of the Great West Pre-Stress Building

Here is a pic of what needs to be done to each panel, comparing sanded and filled panel to panel that has not been modified

[Image: SL372332.jpg]

As you can see, there is some work that needs to be done to each panel that came with this kit in order to transform it into a Pre-Cast Concrete Panel for the yard.

~~First, you must cut off the roof and floor mounting lugs on each panel. You can see the mounting lugs in the picture above on the panel that is on the right. To do this, im am simply using a sharp hobby knife to slice off the thin mounting lugs. Most of the panels only have a lug on the top, but some of the longer panels have lugs have them on the top and bottom.

~~Second, you must sand each panel down on the backs so that the area where the lugs were are not visible anymore. I am using 100 grit sandpaper first, followed by 220 grit sandpaper to finish it off and give it a nice smooth surface to work with.

~~Third, all panels must have the recessed circles filled with putty so that they are not visible. I am doing this with countertop filler and it is working very well lol. Just dab a bit on where each recess is and then use a putty knife to scrap off the excess leaving a nice smooth fill where the recess used to be. Recommended drying time for the putty is 72 hours, however, these are just slight in dents in the panels, and i did a few this morning, and when i looked at them tonight, they were pretty much dry and held up to sanding just fine, less then 12 hours later. After the putty has dried, another sanding with the 220 grit sandpaper and a final inspection. If any recesses are still visible, more putty will be applied and it will be set aside to dry again followed by another fine sanding.

~~ Fourth, Once the panels are filled and final sanding/inspection, the panels will be sprayed with a coat of gray primer to simulate concrete.

~~ Fifth, the final step will be to stack completed panels on 6x6x8' pices of lumber and put them in the yard. 6x6x8' lumber allows a forklift or crane to pick up panels and either move them around or load them onto flatbed trucks to be taken to a building job site

Here is a picture of the panels that i have left that need to modifying work i listed above:

[Image: SL372334.jpg]

There are over 60 panels to complete, ive sanded and filled 11 panels, so i have a lot of work ahead lol. Plus painting and adding the 6x6x8' lumber blocks. More progress will be posted as i progress
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World

Messages In This Thread