Considering Switch to DCC
For a good system, try the Lenz 100, I would skip the 90, that throttle is a pain to use with programming a decoder. You can always add that throttle later for operating the layout, if you prefer it's round knob.
However, Lenz is not that well 'established' in the US. Digitrax and NCE are the dominant brands in the US, followed by MRC (would not touch that at all though!!!, their analog gear used to be great, but their digital stuff is not of the same robustness or quality, and I've even heard of some incompatibility issues, although they're not alone in that. If I had to choose, I'd have a good look at NCE, nice flexible throttles and an expandable system. Outside of the US, (europe like myself), the choice is easy, Lenz, IMHO.

Good decoders (non sound) can be had from both NCE and TCS, as well as Digitrax, all have momentum build in, the digitrax being the more flexible to program, but TCS are very good!
Also ESU (Lokpilot range) makes very, very good loco decoders (probably the best low speed control around) , as does Lenz, but these are sometimes a bit more expensive.

Then of course there are the sound decoders: A good decoder with good sound are the Soundtraxx Tsunami decoders. These however are sometimes very tricky to set up, especially where it concerns low speed / switching performance (the weak point of many decoders), and you'll be tweaking a long time to get it right, but plenty good for road engines , with many build in sounds (horn types etc).
More flexible are the QSI Quantum Titan , excellent sounds, very decent low speed performance (but many, many parameters to set up in different speed ranges), but the drawback is that you need a dedicated programmers to change some of the functions or sounds. However, your dealer should be able to set it up such that it is to your spec (which functions you'd need, for example they come with cab light on certain outputs by default, but I'd like that output to be used for a roof beacon, that sort of thing).

ESU LokSound have the same motor control as their lokpilot (and thus are very good in that regards), and can also be custom loaded with sound, but like QSI, you'd need a programmer for that, or have your dealer do that for you. Function outputs remain flexible I believe, and there are sufficient sounds available to cater for most loco types, although some sound sets are now a bit out of date and don't sound as good as they could do. However newer sound sets are gradually being added and these are often very good.

There, enough food for thought I guess , hope it's useful.

Koos

PS: if you go digital, then as soon as you can afford it, expand your system with a DCC USB interface, so you can connect your system to the computer. Not for control (unless you wanted that) but to be able to use the (free) JMRI Decoder pro software, it takes a little time to get used to, but it makes setting up a decoder, speed curves, function outputs etc etc a lot , lot easier, and no need to remember all the CV numbers etc.. It will be the best enhancement you can give to any DCC system. Pretty much all manufacturers have such an interface in their product range. What's more, provided your computer is also connected to a wireless hub (Doesn't need to be connected to the internet for this purpose) you can also use a smart phone like an iPhone, or an iPod as your wireless throttle. With DCC, a whole new world of control and operations will open up to you, and while the initial investment might be higher, converting your layout and fleet cost time , and getting comfortable with all this digital speak , you will soon appreciate its merits over analog, and will likely not want to go back, ever.
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread