Building a modular home layout
That's a difficult question, I guess the easy answer is 'because I can'... Icon_lol

No, really, then main reason I decided to go modular is simply that I can't decide or make up my mind on what I want in my layout. I have a rather small room, and filling it up with a little of everything just wouldn't work for me. With modules it's easy to rearrange the setup, or change the layout completely by building some new modules without having to discard and throw away the old ones. Plus, each module functions as a 'chainsaw layout' in itself when/if I want to try out a new technique I read about somewhere, and working with scenery and detailing is a breeze on small modules that can be carried around, flipped and turned for easy access. Imagine taking your whole layout into the living room and putting it on the coffee table to do some touchup work while enjoying a cold beer and watching your favourite TV show..! Big Grin

Another reason to build modules is the opportunity to attend module meetings with others. I've been to a couple of such meetings, as a bystander only, I've never participated in the operating sessions, but it looks so cool! A bunch of people getting together, assembling their modules into huge layouts and running long trains after timetables and schedules all weekend long Smile

I admit that modules demand a little more work construction wise than a traditional layout, and modules with strict accordance to the standards are somewhat limiting in a small space such as mine, but their overall flexibility and scalability is what I found the most appealing.

Messages In This Thread