Building a modular home layout
After a long time and many attempts to come up with an acceptable track plan without too many compromises, I have now decided to start from scratch (yet again), and this time with a purely modular approach. I've decided to go with the European FREMO standard, and have spent quite some time coming up with a plan for standardized modules of equal size, albeit with some substandard modules to be used at home only (sharper curves to make it fit in my room etc).

I admit that the modular setup is somewhat restricting to the layout and track plan, especially in a space as small as mine, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives here. I still have room for two towns/stations with industrial sidings, all the modules are interchangable and can be rearranged in a different setup if/when we move to another house, and whenever I feel the need for a change, I can build a new module to replace an old one without having to throw away the old module. In addition, most of the modules can be used at FREMO meetings if I want to participate in those.

This weekend I bought materials and tools to get started on my first modules. First I cut a 12mm plywood sheet into smaller and manageable pieces, just large enough to make two end pieces from each (I bought two finished end pieces to use as templates):

[Image: 3030_w1200.jpg]

[Image: 3031_w1200.jpg]

I also cut the subroadbed and internal bracing from 12mm ply, and the long sides were cut from 9mm ply. I still have some more cutting to do before I can start assembling all the pieces, but hopefully the first couple of module frames will be finished during the Easter holidays.

Svein

Messages In This Thread