STACKED SWITCHING ON LAJ LAYOUT
Was thinking about how to have more switching in the same place & came up w/ this idea of stacking them on some kind of apparatus to move them up & down. My friend Jim Fuhrman of the Orange County Module Club came up w/ doing it by a having a large threaded rod turned by an electric motor. It will need some kind of guides on the ends. My original idea was to use the Sipping & Switching Society of NC waffle frame module design to keep the weight down while being super strong. But Jim did suggest using 2" Styrofoam but wonder if they would sag. Maybe use the S&SSofNC waffle frame on the sides. The modules, guides & rod will be mounted on a 4' x 6' board doubling as a backdrop.
The Los Angeles Junction RY is an industrial switching RR about 3mi. SE of downtown LA. It has about 64 miles of track in a 2mi. X 5 mi. area. There are 22 switching "Leads" coming out of 3 yards in Commerce, Maywood & Vernon CA.
Given my layout room is 10' x 14' will only be doing 9 leads & one yard on 78 sq. ft. of modules arranged in an "E" shape. There will be 4 2' x 6' modules plus a 2' x 8' one. The stacked modules will be on the middle leg of the E. Not sure yet if there will 4 or 5 stacked leads.
All comments & suggests are welcome.

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler

Messages In This Thread