STACKED SWITCHING ON LAJ LAYOUT
This is certainly thinking outside the box and an very interesting idea Andy. I know I've seen some articles about "train elevators" in some publications over the past few years, but can't recall which ones. I think one of them was in one of those model railroad planning mags that MR publishes. Something like "More Layout - Less Space" as I recall. The same concept could be used for your idea. Trickiest part would be to keep the sections level as you move each one into position, but it can certainly be done.

That 2 inch thick styrofoam is pretty hefty stuff and I doubt it would sag. I've got some 1 inch thick and even 3/4 inch around here and even stored leaning against the basement wall for a couple of years, it's still just as flat as the day I got it. A few years ago, I laminated two 48 inch long by 12 inch wide pieces of 3/4 inch thick styrofoam to make it 1-1/2 inches thick for a display I was making and I can tell you it will break in two before it will flex. And of course it weighs practically nothing.

Will be very interested to see if you proceed with this idea. By the way, that LAJ is one interesting railroad operation!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread