Five years of the Blues…
Yes, I have to agree with Mikey, (ngauger), what a ride this has been, but according to our first-class ticket, we have yet to reach our destination. Where are we going? Well, that’s up to you all.

When I finally found time for a hobby, I have two things to thank for my choosing model railroading. The first was the clerk at my LHS that turned his back and walked away after I asked him a question regarding R/C planes. I was willing to invest in that hobby had he continued our conversation. The second was the old Gauge forums. I was groping around different train forums and found that I felt unwelcome and inferior on most of them. I was thinking about taking up knitting or some other non-confrontational hobby, 357 when someone directed me to the-gauge. That was in March of 2003, and I’ve never looked back since then. I instantly felt a part of the community, friendly people, straight answers to my questions, and great and honest advice when I asked for it, and none given when I didn’t ask. I never thought that one day I would become a co-owner of a forum that maintained the values that was established by the original Gauge. Big Grin
Well, that happened five years ago, and both Mikey and I couldn’t be more satisfied and proud of what it turned out to be. Most of you know the story; “the-gauge” was one of the most successful and most family-friendly forums on the Net. We struggled with our identity when we morphed into a catchall forum with other hobbies. Many of you left as a result, and many others left as ads started to appear. The big bang was when that forum was sold to an entity set on making profits from ads. Many more left as the atmosphere changed. When it became clear that we no longer had control and we were fast losing members and friends, it was time to break away and form Big Blue (our old nickname). Many of you came back, all our old moderators came with us, and many new friends joined. It was just like old times. 2285_ Welcome

We are here for you, our members and friends. We have vowed to keep Big Blue ad free, and thanks to your generosity, you have helped make that promise easy to keep. You all have initiated many of the things that keep this forum what it is. We can’t thank you enough, and we hope that things continue in the direction of where you want us to go. Our commitment is to keep these forums such that everyone is welcome and can feel comfortable here. Again, you all make that goal easy. Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread