First One
Sumpter250 Wrote:By the way, do you know where the Mets got their name?

I might have known, once, long ago, but can't now remember. It's not that I'm old, it's that when "Dem Bums" left Ebbets Field, I lost all interest in Major League Baseball. ( except that as an old Dodger fan, I despised, and still do, the N.Y Yankees, and still feel good when any team beats them ).
These days, the Chicago Cubs are the closest thing I've found to the old Brooklyn Dodgers. ( except for their World Series Record )

Mets, as I recall, was short for Metropolitan (something).
I remember watching something on TV many years ago, maybe it was a comedy sketch or something, but there was this soldier that was supposedly holed up in a remote island after WWII. He was there apparently to defend the island from invasion and had no communications to the outside world for some 20 or 30 years yet he stayed by his post waiting to be relieved and not knowing that the war was over decades ago. Finally, one day a group of Americans landed a boat on the beach and was heading towards his hideout. If you remember your war movies, one form of ID of friend or foe was to yell out, "where are the Dodgers from?" Well, when someone in the group yelled back, "Los Angeles", he immediately started shooting remembering his orders and knowing full well that these guys must be the enemy.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread