Intellibox II can program Tsunami sound decoder
torikoos Wrote:.... Once you feel brave enough, try out a ESU decoder. .... a similar quality as a Zimo or Lenz decoder,....
Koos, funny thing is I have a bunch of ESU sound decoders. I started my US model railroad with NYC and most of those black got the ESU sound installed. I did also get the ESU programmer and kept a small Windows laptop for programming. The sound decoders are still installed in most of my steam engines.
The problem with ESU decoders (with and without sound) is a nasty humming sound very annoying at low speed. Intensive negotiations with ESU ended fruitless, it works as designed. I had about 30 ESU (none sound) decoders replaced with Zimo decoders some years ago just to get rid of the humming sound. I wanted to be mean and bought a bunch of ESU for about 20€ to avoid Zimo for 30€. That was a bad and costly failure.
Anyhow, the ESU sound programming capabilities are endless and absolute top notch.
The Bachmann value sound Tsunami is limited in several ways (no break etc.) but it provides engine, bell and horn sound and handles the motor quite nice. Not as well as a Zimo but still at a satisfactory level and the surplus in price and function is well balanced.
It is a toy and I do not intend to install sound in many of my diesel engines. Another Bachmann RS3 with sound is on order. I intend to use the GP7 and RS3 sound chassis with "shell swapping" in multiple scenarios. e.g. my home made Corman GP7 would be a nice shell for the GP7 sound chassis too.

ps. It toke a while until I discovered Tsunami CV 66/95 (trim) as a functional equivalent to CV5 (top speed). It is nasty to hide such a basic function so deep in the CV jungle Wink
pps. I have also the basic Zimo programmer (no sound). Zimo had a time when firmware updates happened on a monthly base and some of them were really required.
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread