Install Tsunami Sound in Athearn Genesis GP15-1
May be you are interesting my report how I installed my first Tsunami sound decoder into an Atheran H0 Genesis GP15-1.

The upgrade from the DC version is very easy

1. swap the Athearn PCB with the Tsunami decoder TSU-GN1000 828058 EMD 645 (Non turbo). Install Tsunami with the capacitors down.
2. reconnect all four power wires and the motor wires (same locations as with Athearn)
3. put the speaker 810113 with the front down and build a styrene box about .35"/9mm high around it. Do not forget to solder two wires to the speaker and have a small opening for the wires.
(Soundtraxx provides construction drawings with correct size to build the baffle. I preferred the easy way und built the box around the speaker laying on a glass plane)
4. mount the baffle with tape to the chassis and solder the speaker wires
5. solder the lamp wires in place ( same location at with Athearn)
6. put the shell back and you are done with the hardware :-)

The Tsunami did work with the Athearn drive out of the box fine.
I selected speedtabel CV25=11 and reduced speed down to 32 in CV66 and 95 (set bit 4 in CV 29!). Sound became "apartment friendly" after CV128 was set to 20 Wink

I am very satisfied!

Two sample photos taken at a test run after step 4. the baffle needs to be removed again and the small holes in the corners and the speaker need to be closed to trap the sound in the baffle.

[Image: IMG_3604_zps3613a312.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3605_zpse66b910d.jpg]

ps. Vernon contemporary industry "shoe box" buildings are the perfect training to build baffles. Just shrink the dimensions and omit the loading dock 357
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread