Install Tsunami Sound in Athearn Genesis GP15-1
Hi Reinhard,

Both Brian and I use Lenz DCC systems, and we both use the LH100 handset, which has pushbuttons. A somewhat lazy way of operating is to use the larger buttons which increase/decrease the speedsteps by 7 at a time. That's when this comes in handy. The other buttons do it a speed step at a time, but you are pressing the buttons repeatedly when doing that, potentially wearing them out quicker.
Their other throttle (Which I don't own) LH90 has a round knob / potentiometer/rotary encoder,and might be better suited for this sort of thing.

I believe your controller has round knobs too. Anyway, yes the RS11 has fairly high CV values in CV3 and CV4. So do all my own loco's though, but it depends a lot per loco and individual performance. Some are set with these values around 15/20, while others have 30..
Also the higher the value, the more 'momentum/inertia' you seem to have to overcome, as if the loco is pulling a heavy train. Now from a switcher with one or two cars I can imagine you want a bit more immediate response, a longer heavier train should accelerate slower etc. Of course with a rotary knob, you can simulate that your selves.

However, when using higher values in CV3 and CV4, depending on the sound decoder, you might find that the sound of the engine revs up several notches when you jump several speed steps, while the engine barely moves initially. This really gives the impression it's working hard to get the train moving. Doing it one speed step at a time, will give the speed of the loco time to catch up with the sound, and even though it might speed up slowly, it won't be rev'ing so hard.

Either way, sound does add a dimension to operating a layout, and often people learn to 'slow down' , and almost naturally start to operate more realistically.

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread