My new basement, or, how to fill it
The wide wall in the middle will be cut back, to the stairs. There will be one liftup section - I saw an article in one of the publications about doing a 2 level liftup with drawer guides, so for running the layout, you would come down the stairs, turn to the left (right in the picture), walk under the raised up section, lower it in place, and then you will stay on the interior of the layout with no further duckunders. I had a previous iteration that has no duckunders or need for a raise up section like that, but it had 2 problems. The first was that the helix then reversed the direction of travel - so you went around the lower level right to left, ran up the helix, then the upper level was left to right. I suppose I could get used to that, but having East be one way on one deck and the oppiste way on the other was a bit disconcerting. Second issue, it was less than half the length of run.
To get from upstairs into the garage or outside (I have 2 front doors - one up on the porch, on right off the driveway at the lower left) you come down the stairs, turn right (left in the picture) and that area with no layout is fully open to move about. There's an outside door, door to garage, bathroom, and the laundry on that side.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com

Messages In This Thread