Tarantula Madness
ezdays Wrote:I don't know what you have there in Oz, but here in the desert we have an assortment of scorpions, none that I know of looks like the one that GEC has. I did have a run-in with one a few years ago. It was a small brown one and it left it's mark on my finger. That finger looked about the size of a hot dog for a good week. I've always looked out for them, but this one caught me by surprise. No, I wouldn't want them around, even in a glass fish tank.... Nope

Arizona is a bad place to live if you don't like scorpions. Apparently, there are 41 species of scorpion, second only to California, which has 57 species.

As for keeping one as a pet, I do share your concern. I would not want any of those small desert species (not unless I was well prepared, and even then....). Some of the more common ones are members of the genus Centruroides (Bark Scorpions, amongst others), and these are known for having extremely painful stings, even if the venom itself is not considered serious medically.

I made sure to DO MY HOMEWORK before I brought one home.

Members of the genus Heterometrus (such as mine) and Pandinus (which include the commonly known "Emperor" scorpions) are large, tropical, docile, and are verified for having relatively "weak" stings. Furthermore, they are entirely incapable of climbing glass or smooth plastic. These factors make them relatively ideal pets as far as scorpions go.

The height of the tank is beyond the height that the scorpion can reach while standing on its tail (which it has done). Its large size makes it easier to manipulate and handle than would a smaller species. Its disposition/personality is important too. These big ones are more likely to stare you down and run away, than to strike at you aggressively.

I would be concerned with just about any other species of true scorpion (some related creatures like whip scorpions and "tailless" whip scorpions lack venom of any kind and are "harmless", even safe to hold. neither is technically a scorpion).
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread