Dilemma HO layout plan
jcj380 Wrote:Couple of questions:

Can you afford that many turnouts?
Can you maintain them?

Complex plans can be fascinating and can give you years (if that's what you want) of building. But what's the probability of actually getting the thing built and debugged? That's not to say you can't or won't do it, but I think it's important to look at things with a cold, objective eye. Might take some fun out of it, but it might also take some longterm grief out of it.

But it's your call.

I have had the track and turnouts for many years. I thought I would of had a large layout by now but the bedroom is what I have to work with for the foreseeable future. I have already decided that my "plan" is not going ahead in its original form. Just need to figure out a new basic version.

lajry Wrote:What ever plan he does, he shouldn't "cast it in concrete" w/ ballast & glue. To see if that plan meets all his needs, run the heck out of it w/ tracks just tacked down. It's a whole easier to pull nails to move track rather than ruining most of the track ripping it out of the ballast & glue. ~|

Another excellent point. track will be laid and fastened temporarily until the kinks are worked out.
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643

Messages In This Thread