To sell or not to sell???? Whaaaat!!!!
Just a bit about Social Security from my end. I remember paying into it every year of my life that I earned a paycheck. In 1982 we started our own manufacturing business and so as the owners, we not only had to pay our Social Security out of our own paychecks, but we had to match it, and that of anyone that worked for us. When it came time for us to retire, we has some money in IRA's, but no pensions or annuities of any kind...period. Yeah, Social Security doesn't quite make it every month and we find ourselves frequently withdrawing from these savings just to meet our day-to-day living expenses. The bottom line is, even though we don't get 100% of our living expenses from Social Security, and I'm not sure at what point we'll get back what we and our employers have paid into the system on our behalf, but if it wasn't for what we do get, we would definitely find ourselves still in the workforce. I'm not singing the praises of the system, but for now, it's all that we get on a regular basis and without it and the IRA's that they allowed us to take out, we could possibly be out on the street. Take either one from us and we'd be looking for work and there's not too many opportunities out there for people our age. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread