UP SD40-2's NEW Layout
An eye-level layout is good for viewing but sometimes not so good when you're working on it.  My around-the-room layout is approximately 1/3 eye-level, and 2/3 not, but still viewable at near eye-level when following the trains on rolling office-type chairs.

The depth of the upper level at the end of one of the layout's aisles was also an issue, as the reach-in for painting the rails was out-of-reach, even when standing on a step-stool. 
I solved that issue by using a step ladder, which allowed me to paint both the visible side of the track and the not-normally-seen backside of the rails, while laying atop the the layout. 
I do, occasionally, take layout pictures with the camera on-layout and facing the aisle-ways, too.

When I want to take eye-level photos of the lower level, I simply adjust the camera's tripod appropriately, and likewise if I want to photograph on the upper level (which is only 1/3 "done").
Adding the partial upper level did make it difficult to photograph aerial views of the main level, without getting the support system also in the frame.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread