Transition over module gaps (cross posted from tips & tricks
For a home layout that may need to be moved in the future but is not intended to be put up and taken down, I would just build the sections, bolt them together and lay track and scenery. The scenery across the joint can be on a thin base that would be easily cut through by a knife or thin saw. I would go ahead and lay the track across the joint without regard for joiner tracks. I would try to avoid putting complicated track work like yards across a joint if possible to avoid. If complicated trackwork needs to cross a joint, make a break in the tracks, put in brass screws and solder the track to the screws to keep it in alignment. Electrically, I would use plugins between sections that could be unplugged for transport.

If a move is necessary, just cut the rails at the joint, cut the scenery, unplug electrical connections, and take the layout apart. Reverse the process when you get to the new location. Just be aware that unless you do a custom design on your next house, the layout room may be a different size or shape from your current space.

Messages In This Thread