Building the roundhouse at Mount Forest...
Thanks, Charlie. Big Grin

The kit is pretty basic: in addition to the wall sections, there was a pile of stripwood (some pre-cut as bracing) for constructing posts and trusses to support the roof, which is heavy cardstock (black on one side). Also included was a bag of ballast-like material (to create a tar and gravel roof), along with plastic window and door castings. The latter work, but it's up to the modeller to determine the best method. I gave the wood, cardstock and gravel to a friend, and will make the roof supports from strip styrene and the roof from more .060" sheet styrene, which I hope to make removeable.

In the previous post, I mentioned that the balsa sub-floor left
doctorwayne Wrote:.......an almost level surface for the application of a finished styrene floor between the tracks.

The reason it's only almost level is because of the spike heads moulded on the top of the Atlas ties. If the .060" finished floor is to butt-up against the outside of the rails, it has to sit atop the spikes - this makes the finished floor too high at the tracks, and running a locomotive into a roundhouse stall results in the wheels being lifted above the rails' tops, breaking electrical contact and stranding the locomotive. Wallbang Misngth

To correct this, I shaved .060" off each side of the styrene floor segments which needed to butt-up against the rails. Next with the floor segments upside down on a sheet of glass, the .040" edge of a piece of .040"x.060" strip styrene was aligned with the floor's edge and MEK applied to the joint. The bond was complete almost instantly, yielding floor segments with an undercut edge on each side where the floor met the rails.
Here's a photo showing such an edge, still upside down:

[Image: ROUNDHOUSE%20AT%20MOUNT%20FOREST...%20011.jpg]

The next job will be to pre-paint all of the styrene floor pieces, then cement them atop the balsa sub-floor using contact cement.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread