Building the roundhouse at Mount Forest...
Still plugging away at the roundhouse, and I thought that I'd taken a photo of the "mortar" application, but can't find it. Anyway, here's the results of the application after the excess has been rubbed off...

[Image: 100_7178.jpg]

[Image: 100_7177.jpg]

[Image: 100_7179.jpg]

The window frame is just sitting in place - I won't install them until the interior has been painted.

A few days after finishing the mortar work, I decided to weather the brick, as I was concerned about how it would look. I used a wash of well-thinned PollyScale paint, with a couple drops of dish detergent added, applied with a 3/4" brush, then added the "soot" over the doors using artist's pastels. I simply rub the pastel stick on some coarse sandpaper, then dump the resultant powder into a suitable container, and use an old brush to apply it to the structure. Since it's unlikely to get much handling, no fixative was added....

[Image: Mount%20Forest%20roundhouse%20-%20weathered-1.jpg]

[Image: Mount%20Forest%20roundhouse%20-%20weathered-2.jpg]

[Image: Mount%20Forest%20roundhouse%20-%20weathered-3.jpg]

I need to do some additional work on the turntable: while the bridge and its track is now powered (SCR walkaround throttle, powered by a 9 volt AC wallwart for bridge operation, and track voltage through a reversing switch on the fascia for track power), the turntable bridge sits too low in the pit, with major bumps for anything entering or exiting the bridge. I think a washer of the proper thickness is all that's needed.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread