Sweet sound
faraway Wrote:Lutz, what is your alternative? I love the motor handling of Zimo but their US sound library looks very patchy to me.
Looks like Tsunami is under constant development. A new cost optimized version and later on Tsunami 2.
Reinhard i agree, the electronic motor control of Zimo is excellent. :geek:
But the selection of typical US soundfiles is (still?) very limited. And you have to use their own programmer for adjusting sound, a theme more situated for :ugeek: As i am not an geek, i have my struggle to get the sound on Zimo decoders right. May be i am spoiled by the Tsunamis sound decoders were the adjusting of sound functions and sound devices is rather simple for the user. E.g. getting rid of a coal shoveling fireman is simply modifying one, well documented, CV. A job which can be done by the user with the aid of his DCC command station.
Not so with Zimo sound and not so with Esu loksound. You have to dig deep into the wav files to do adjustings here. The Zimo ZCS is a little bit overaged and has not the convenience as i exspected, more a device for :geek: . Of course the F fuctions are listed, but no text beside the numbers to show what is what.

The Esu Lokprogrammer has malices of it's own; it is really so Hardy, even if you won't believe that. A friend of mine owns one and he was not possible to reduce simply the volume of of very LOUD cylinder cocks (Esu Loksond V.0 with soundfile German BR24).
Another chapter is the quality of soundfiles. Esu soundfiles could'nt persuade me really. E.g. an ALCO 539T should sound like an ALCO 539T and not sounding like an John Deere Tractor. A German V200 soundfile is sounding like an eldery Mercedes Benz truck? May be this satisfies those guys who simply want a certain level of any noise, but not me.
Here in Germany many Loksound users have replaced the original soundfiles with thoses purchased from Henning, because they sounds much better and a good deal more prototipical. I have heard the new Loksound Select files were better sounding than the previous ones for the Loksound V4.0, but i am still rather sceptical. As said, chapter closed for me.
The Zimo soundfiles are better, but some interesting US sound are compound with cost here too. And there are still some big :?:

For this, so my expieriences and my opinion, the Tsunami is still the more user-friendly sound decoder. The Zimo sound decoders will have to be tested still.

@Hardy

Tsunami motor management CVs:

CV10: BEMF cutout
CV209: KP Coefficient
CV210: KI Coefficient
CV212: Motor Control Intensity (BEMF Feedback Intensity)
CV213: Motor Control Sample
CV214: Motor Control Aperture Time
CV215: BEMF Gain Coefficient
CV216: Voltage Adjustement (DCC RMS Voltage)
CV217: Motor Control Register
CV219: BEMF Calibration Delay

Cheers Lutz

Messages In This Thread