Sweet sound
Yes i agree, the best sound is that what you can hear in a certain distance away from the prototype loco. In the case of a Diesel loco it is predomiantly exaust, horn, bell and brake squeal. And in second it is air compressor, cooling fans, dynamic brake fans and poppet valves. That are the sound you can hear when railfanning. But do you hear cab talk?
And in case of model railroads you are mainly a railfan with a remote control in your hand to commandeer the actions on the layout. For me all other aditional sound functions are nice to have, but seldom used ones. Nice to have are for me e.g. coupler clank and separating of airhoses, but when you use it by pushing every time the button? For some of this soundfiles it will be very nice if they are automated. Most sound decoders have the possibilities to adjust them.
In the case of a switcher i have automated:
- Lights according Rule 17
- Horn signals (forward 2 short, backward 3 short, when stopping 1 short
- Brake squeal
- Cooling fans
- Air compressor
- Notching
And: - Grade crossing horn signals by pushing 1 button 1 times
The volume level is overall reduced to a level of 15 - 20% of the maximum. For home using it may be better for reducing still more, but this is according to the individual taste of each user.
And in this conclusion motor humming is simply counterproductive.

Steam sound is an other chapter, here you need bass volume really. The best of course are the bones rattling one s Wink

For new sound decoders, i have bought 3 Econamis, two steam and one Diesel. Also brand new for me is a SPROG3 device. Decoder Pro still have to be installed on my PC.

And for alternatives of Micro Loksound, sorry i have not really one as i am modelling in H0.

Cheers Lutz

Messages In This Thread