Testing out loud (speakers)
Next in testing is the big one. A friend of mine has given his Fujiyama brass SP GS4 to me for reworking and digitalizing it. A good opportunity to test the speaker in an encasement.

[Image: dsc00567unsct.jpg]
Into the bottom, here a solid brass sheet of app. 1.2mm thickness, several holes of 3mm were drilled in the area where the speaker will be mounted.
The 40 x 28.5mm oval Soundtraxx speaker was simply mounted on the bottom with the also available gasket. These gaskets are self adhesive and made a hassle free installation.
The tender shell is of the type of multi-layer brass sheet, so that a overall thickness of app. 1mm is given. This has the effect of a very solid casing. This loco model is still a piece out of those good old days when rock solid Japanese craftmanship was available.

[Image: dsc00566hjszz.jpg]
The shell was mounted an the spaker cables were leaded outside. As for all tests a Econami Steam decoder an d the Zimo MXTAP test rack was used.
O.K. power on and WOW!!! :hey:

Next deed: reduce general sound level to 10% !
The sound is very bassy, it did not have to be loud, but is still far reaching. Easily reaching from one end of the convention hall, where the Fremo meeting took place, to the other (far) end. Also be very careful with the sound levels. Especially with those fizzling and hissing sounds like those of safety valves or steam blow. They can get to an painful level. At least it will be the best to reduce the sound level of them separately to a not-going-deaf level.

For home use, so my expierience und recommendation, the general sound level should be reduced to 3 - 5%. And when ever you have the space and room take that speaker, it sounds really great.

And at least, Soundtraxx has yet two sugar cubes in it's offerings; of 13 x 9 x 8,85mm and 16 x 12 x 11.25mm seizes.

Cheers Lutz

Messages In This Thread