Testing out loud (speakers)
The next stage on the play:

[Image: dsc01710fjukf.jpg]
This are 2 of these Knowlws Dumbo Speakers in an shared enclosure. Initially designed for use with G-Scale they are connected in serial and together they have an impendance of 16 Ohms.
No problem for the Tsunami Econami 200 with an audio output designed for 8 Ohms. It may be not possible deafening your eardrums irrevocable by LOUD, but the bass presence is remarkable, even with moderate sound volumes adjusted.
For steam application bass volume is essential and i made the same expierence as Reinhard. The sugar cubes have more presence of lower frequencies, but also fewer presence with high frequencies. Here it causes really CHUFF - CHUFF instead of chiff - chiff. In dog terms boarhound vs chinchilla.

The same speaker squeezed under the shell of an Atlas GP40-2CW:
[Image: dsc015756sr2f.jpg]
Because i did'nt want any hassle with ESU Loksound4, the loco was ordered DC. Here a Tsunami Econami 21Pin was plugged in. The speaker, made by Zimo, fitted after i removed some materail of the weight at the rear end by filing down.
Here the sound file of the EMD 645Turbo was choosen. A engine known for a really screaming sound. And here too the characteristics of these speakers to prefer lower frequencies and supress higher ones are a benefit. The sound is not so sharp shrilling as with conventional speakers. By adjusting the equalizer you can make further tuning in direction of more bass rumbling of the engine sound.
This was increased when i chose just for fun the sound file GE 16FDL. Really PHLAP - PHLAP of the big bore engine was heard. Since i was in Canada last year i know what the big GE's used to tonal. And this combination of Tsunami Decoders and Zimo/Knowles speakers comes very very near to it.

Cheers Lutz

Messages In This Thread