New Layout - need DCC help
Some answers...

1) Bus wire should be large® gauge, and roughly follow the track so that the smaller gauge feeders can be short(er).

2) The loco net is simply an extension cord for your plug in throttles, so put plugs where you will need them. The loconet wiring does not have to follow the track.

3) A Zephyr can power a larger layout - it's the number of trains that will be running simultaneously that is the limiting factor, as the Zephyr is not rated with as many amps as the others (3A vs 5A I believe).

4) The Zephyr should feed power in to the middle of the bus, so that the length to each end is approximately the same. For a large layout, avoid plugging it in one end (this goes for any power supply really).

5) The Digitrax stuff can all work together, and you can simply add as you go (e.g. add reverser when needed, or extra power). Some other components can come from other suppliers too (e.g. RR-Cir-kits makes a computer interface, and possibly a reverser too IIRC).

6) You may wish to wire the layout in sections so that it is easier to troubleshoot in the event of something going wrong. This is not strictly necessary though.

Looking at your track plan in the other thread, I have to say that there is an awful lot of track in there. I am not sure what your goals are (sometimes called "givens 'n' druthers Wink) for it. How do you want it to operate? What besides the cement focus would you like to have? It looks like the empties go to the quarry, and the loads go to the cement plant - is there any other traffic on this line? How do the red and blue tracks intersect with the yard and quarry areas?

Hope that helps,

Andrew

Messages In This Thread