doctorwayne's Get off yer duff Challenge (Part I)
[Image: Locostoberebuilt002.jpg]

I bought this locomotive, a used Bachmann USRA 2-6-6-2, from a nearby hobbyshop in 2007.  It was DCC-equipped, which I promptly removed when I got it home.  It ran well, but since I had a lot of other projects on the go at that time, I put it back in its box, a project for a later day.
In 2009, I had some idle time available, so dug it out and decided to test its pulling abilities, as I felt that it probably would need some additional weight.
I assemble a test train and sent it east from Elfrida, and the loco and several cars disappeared into the tunnel.  As the track is on a 2.8% grade and also a couple of curves, the cars began disappearing more slowly, until finally they stopped completely.  This was not unexpected, and I could hear the locomotive still running, its drivers slipping on the rails.  When I walked around the peninsula to see how far it had gone, I was surprised to see only the front engine's drivers spinning, while those on the rear were motionless.  
I shut off the power and took the loco into the shop, figuring that the driveshaft to the rear engine had somehow become disengaged.  After removing the boiler casting, both driveshafts were revealed to be properly in place, but further investigation showed that the gears within the rear engine's gearbox were almost totally devoid of teeth.  Eek  It's my guess that the previous owner used a non-plastic-compatible oil in this gearbox, and while it sat in its box for two years, the oil did its damage.
The next day, I contacted Bachmann, only to discover that no parts were available for this locomotive.  My next avenue was NWSL, and after a lengthy back-and-forth discussing gear sizes, tooth counts, and pitch, I was asked by Dave, the tech guy at NWSL, to send the damaged engine in to see if he could come up with suitable replacement gears.
Time passed, and Bachmann released their C&O 2-6-6-2, a loco similar to, but not exactly the same as my earlier version of that wheel arrangement.  I contacted Bachmann and explained the situation, and it was suggested that I send them the loco and $45.00 to see if parts from the newer loco would work in the older one.  I contacted NWSL, and asked them to return the engine and bill me as required.  In due time, the engine arrived (at no charge), and the locomotive was re-assembled and sent off to Bachmann - this was, I think, in March or April of 2012.  
It didn't take too long for Bachmann to contact me with the news that the newer parts were not compatible with my older locomotive, and they offered me a replacement or the return of the wounded loco.  I perhaps should have accepted the replacement offered, but since it was literally half of the original (their recently released 2-6-0), I asked for my crippled 2-6-6-2 to be returned.  I was surprised when it arrived here, complete with my uncashed $45.00 money order.  While I was a bit nonplussed by their offer of a 2-6-0 for a 2-6-6-2, I certainly cannot fault their warranty policies, and wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Bachmann locomotive.
I get regular e-mail updates from Bachmann on their new releases and was shocked this past Spring to receive notice of the availability of parts for my lame loco - among them, complete front and rear engines.  Thumbsup  Thumbsup
I quickly ordered one of each (who knows, perhaps the front engine was now in the same sad shape as the rear one, having spent even more time in the box).  This locomotive has racked up a lot of mileage, but most of it not under its own power.

Anyway, the parts arrived and the new rear engine was installed (the front one appears to still be okay).  So, this long delayed project is once again under way....I had re-started it a couple of months ago, but given the nine year lag since it was acquired, I prefer to call it a stalled project.  

The locomotive as-delivered is back-heavy, but there's very little room to add weight in the front end.  I did find a few spots, though:

In the smokebox and front sand dome...

[Image: GRS%202-6-6-2...%20013.jpg]

...atop the rear of the front gearbox...

[Image: GRS%202-6-6-2...%20011.jpg]

...and the front of it, too...

[Image: GRS%202-6-6-2...%20010.jpg]

I also replaced the plastic steam pipes between the front of the loco and the rear cylinders, using lead-filled brass tubing:

[Image: GRS%202-6-6-2...%20002.jpg]

The loco and tender, the latter the USRA "long" version, are too long to fit on the 90' turntable at Lowbanks (actually only 89' long because of limited real estate), so I decided to shorten the loco's boiler...

[Image: GRS%202-6-6-2...%20003.jpg]

You'll also notice, above, that I substituted a Delta-type trailing truck for the bulky one which came with the model.  This required modifications to both the truck and the mounting system on the locomotive:

[Image: GRS%202-6-6-2...%20014.jpg]

...which then allowed me to mount, what I believe to be CPR vestibule cab, much further over the boiler than the original USRA cab, thus helping to shorten the overall length.  The long tender will get a trimming, too, but that'll happen later.

[Image: GRS%202-6-6-2...%20004.jpg]

I can't recall the origin of the new cab, but I think that it was in a box of garage sale stuff which my wife picked-up for a couple of bucks.

Much more to come!   Goldth

Wayne

Messages In This Thread