doctorwayne's Get off yer duff Challenge (Part II)
This second part of my Challenge will be for rolling stock. Not much done yet, but it may include some Westerfield kit-builds, upgrades to some Tyco gondolas, perhaps some scratchbuilt freight cars and/or cabooses, and maybe some kitbashed head end equipment for passenger trains - it all depends on how successful I'll be at getting off my duff will be for this part of the Challenge. Misngth

Here's a Westerfield CNR gondola, a recent bargain find at a train show - these are easy cars to build...my previous car of this type was a bargain at a nearby hobbyshop because it was lacking instructions...

[Image: FREIGHT%20CARS%20FOR%20CHALLENGE...%20001.jpg]

[Image: FREIGHT%20CARS%20FOR%20CHALLENGE...%20002.jpg]

This car will get painted when there are enough others to make it worthwhile to heat the paint shop. Wink Goldth

These are the Tyco gondolas, picked up at a another train show. They're very similar to Accurail's version of the AAR 41' gondola, although the details, mainly grabirons, are a little heavier. I'll replace the ones on these cars with wire ones, and add some basic brake rigging, as the underside is quite visible. (I also replaced the cast-on grabs on the Accurail gondolas which I have.)
Here, the lettering has been removed, but the rest of the work still needs to be done...

[Image: FREIGHT%20CARS%20FOR%20CHALLENGE...%20005.jpg]

Here's another Westerfield kit, this one for a CPR Fowler boxcar. I actually bought it, under $5.00, to make it into a NC&StL car, but it has CP's usual 5' door, whereas that on the NC&StL car should be 6'. Instead, the CPR car will be lettered for CNR (I have enough CPR Fowlers, and not enough of them for the CNR). The prototypes had some minor differences, but none of them concern me enough to make such changes. I will, however, likely toss the Westerfield roof panels - they represent a plank roof, typical of the early cars, and are fairly severely warped...

[Image: FREIGHT%20CARS%20FOR%20CHALLENGE...%20007.jpg]

More to come when I get to work...

Wayne

Messages In This Thread