Old Steamers
doctorwayne Wrote:Well, the photos illustrate the validity of my memory quite well. Wallbang Misngth

If it were mine, and I really needed to get it back in service, I'd attempt to enlarge the slot for the geared driver, then use brass tubing sleeves over the plastic hubs. There's already some slop in the slots anyway, so if you measure the total amount needing to be removed, using calipers, you can then reset them to half of that amount and set the points on a divider to match. You can then use the divider's tips to scribe the frame halves around the slots for the geared driver. A flat file will do the vertical portions, and you can finish the curve at the base of the slots with a round needle file.
(A decent set of dividers will allow you to adjust the length of the tips, so that one can be positioned slightly longer than the other. The half-measurement from the calipers is then transferred from the inside edge of the longer tip to the tip of the shorter one. When the long tip is placed against the inner face of the slot, the dividers can be slid down into the slot, around the bottom and back up the other side, with the short tip scribing a line indicating the amount of material needing to be removed.)

If you're really ambitious, you could do all of the slots in this manner, and then use brass tubing on all axles for a more permanent repair.

Thanks for the advice, doctorwayne. No, I don't need to get it back into service. It was given to me because I like "old junk." I do like to tinker, though, so I may try your prescription, or I may try these: https://www.shapeways.com/product/PJUUQ9...le-centers I can certainly send an email to NWSL, too.

doctorwayne Wrote:
gna Wrote:....Any guesses what I'm trying to model here?...

I'm certainly no authority on Pennsy operations (or anything else, for that matter Crazy ), but I'll hazard a guess that it's something to do with the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines.

Wayne

Not quite....Pennsy E6-B60B baggage car-P70 coach--anyone?

Messages In This Thread