Old Steamers
I keep working on these projects. The E-6 had some gear lash trouble, but I think I've got it now. Only problem is it stalls at some turnouts, so I may need to add pickup to both sides of the loco.

I've been working with the Old Lady Connie, and it's been difficult. I was able to get most of the missing pieces from eBay or Bowser, and bought missing screws from the hadware store. Unfortunately, the drivers didn't fit in the frame well, so I had to file the frame, and getting them even was not easy. I may not have it right--it seems to slip much of the time. Would more weight help?

I replaced the motor magnet with some Super magnets:

I also made a drawbar and back of cab:

The first drawbar was too close. It looked good, but it pushed the loco off the rails on curves. Runs ok, but doesn't pull great. Also stalls on some turnouts, so all wheel pickup would help.

I also pulled this loco out:

This is a Tyco Little 6 that I built when I was 12. I brushed painted it with those Pactra enamels they used to sell at the drugstore with the plastic model airplanes. I cleaned the wheels and pickup, lubed it, and it runs surprisingly well. It could use super magnets in the motor, too, to drop the current draw. I may even put a decoder in it so I can run it on my layout.

Messages In This Thread