Suggestions for Locomotives?
dave1905 Wrote:First , they wouldn't run specific trains for specific industries unless the industry operated a unit train. You have specific engines to operate specific service (local switching, yard switching, road haul, unit train, etc).

The quarry would use whatever power the class 1 railroad you connected with gave you to operate the train. Set the rates so you don't even have to power it.

The for the rest of the locomotives I would pick GP38-2's and SD40-2's. They both use the same/similar engines and many of the same parts so fixing them is simpler. Having a gazillion different model of engines sounds cool, but is very expensive.

Either that or I would contract with a horsepower by the hour provider (WATCO, FURX, HELM), tell them I needed XX engines of xxxx horsepower and then they would provide engines, whatever they had, to meet that.

1) The industries that I named specific trains for *are* running what amounts to unit trains. A beer service train that handles all of the breweries on the line, the rock train down from the quarry, and the local mixed freight for the online towns/industries, which is run as one single train.

2) Fair point, something to take in to consideration, at least.

3) After that was pointed out, I pared it down to one engine type, using the GP10s and the low-nose SD unit.
————————————————————————————
Modeling the East Broad Top as it was between 1937-1942
~Amanda

Messages In This Thread