Scratchbuilding a Town - Galena SD
In this thread, I'm going to document progress on scratchbuilding buildings associated with the semi-ghost town of Galena, SD, around 1915. This town is going to be the centerpiece of a modular HOn30 layout that I plan to construct this summer. For now, I've been working on scratching structures that either were in Galena or that would fit with the general location of a narrow gauge silver mining line in the Black Hills.

Earlier this month, I wrote up a history of narrow gauge in the northern Black Hills: (http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=744. My layout is going to be based on the Branch Mint Railroad, a 3 mile mining narrow guage tram linking several mines in the Strawberry creek gulch area to a crushing and smelting operation based in the town of Galena. Part of this line ran parallel to a spur of the Deadwood Central. I think this will provide a lot of interesting scenery options and I have been able to track down a treasure trove of historical photos of the region, particularly the mines, mills, and town buildings.

Messages In This Thread