Independent Yard Wiring and Operation
Using two SPDTs, what's the proper way to wire them so that that one yard (south) can be operated independently of the other yard (north) - and independently of the mainline direction center-off DPDT?  Note: The double reverse loop operations are controlled by a mainline direction DPDT and a reverse loop DPDT, an operation that functions flawlessly.  I realize I could probably use SPSTs for this, but SPDTs are what I have, so no need to mention them. My layout is DC.

As you can see from the attached PDF diagram (a single red line = one rail gapped; two red lines = both rails gapped), I've gapped one rail of each yard between the end of turnout #10 that leads directly into the yards and the end of the yards.  However, when I connected a wire from the center-off SPDT's center lug to the gapped rail in its respective yard and a wire from one end lug of a SPDT to the track power and flipped the SPDT switch, the loco moved in only one direction.  I had to flip the switch on the mainline direction DPDT to get the loco to move in either direction within the yard - an extraneous motion I want to eliminate so that I only need to flip each yard's SPDT switch. 

My objective: to make each yard either "dead" or "alive" and electrically separate from the other - and the mainline DPDT.    

Earlier, in addition to the above two-wire trial, I had also connected a third wire from the other end lug of the SPDT to the center, power supplying lug of the reverse loop's DPDT, which resulted only in a current spike and no movement of the loco.

Obviously, there's interference from the mainline DPDT.  How do I break free of it?

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files
.pdf   Great Northern Wiring Schematic (Sept., 2018).pdf (Size: 474.68 KB / Downloads: 512)

Messages In This Thread
Independent Yard Wiring and Operation - by Seamus O'Leary - 11-23-2018, 12:45 PM