Technology: How Much Is Too Much?
All technology is progressing faster than we can pay for it. Computers, cars, washing machines, telephone, the list goes on and on. Many are obsolete before they hit the showroom floor. We have choices, we can decide to try to keep up with technology advances and pay the price, or we can just pick a point where we are satisfied with what we have and go on from there. I've picked DC as my jumping off place, most of what I have, I bought as far back as 20 years ago and I have no problems using it today. I have a Tech4, a step up for just a DC controller, but not close to DCC.  Some folks chose DCC and somewhere along the line, bought what was the current technology then and reasonably priced. They can still use what they have and have pleasure doing it. Others want no less than the latest bells and whistles, and that's fine. I think we all think this way, choose what you want and are will to pay. I'm sure if someone wants to get into DCC and doesn't want to spend today's prices, they can surely find someone willing to sell them some older versions that will suite their needs. Notice, I didn't say, "can't afford", I said "doesn't want", big difference. Just be happy with what you have, and if you're not, upgrade to the level that does please you, certainly, there's something out there that you are willing to spend on that you'll be happy with.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread
RE: Technology: How Much Is Too Much? - by ezdays - 04-10-2021, 07:11 AM
RE: Technology: How Much Is Too Much? - by ezdays - 04-10-2021, 03:07 PM
RE: Technology: How Much Is Too Much? - by ezdays - 04-26-2021, 06:25 PM