Getting Narrow M... ähh... Gauged
Hello,

[Image: dsc04689d8k8s.jpg]
There was still something with this loco model which bothered me.
From the fireman's side it looks quite normal.

[Image: dsc04690ojksx.jpg]
But from the engineer's side there is ome very disturbing.
Have a closer look onto the cylinder. Icon_e_surprised 
It seems like this cylinder block is angled forward.
What to do with this? And how i can correct this?

A closer investigation showed the cylinders are an subassembly out of brass sheet and brass castings, a total of 16 parts were soldered together to make this part. And very likely this was done at the manufactory with the aid of several templates. But nevertheless the (trainee?) solderer has achieved to solder the outer part of sheet metal askew which represents the cylinder block covering.
And i have not any of this templates. So the danger is large to accidentally unsolder other parts of the subassembly when i try to correct the askew cylinder. But then i discovered the cover sheet has some small excess ends over the front and aft sheets of the cylinder. And this excess was also askew. At the rear nearly no excess on the top and much excess on the bottom. The front was vice versa.

Icon_idea Take a file and file down the unbalanced excess, so that front and rear side of the side covering sheet became rectangular.

[Image: dsc046934gjdh.jpg]
Done. The cylinder has now straight vertical sides. Only the top portion is still some oblique. But this does not matter so much and i can live with it.

[Image: dsc046910nj0y.jpg]
One last picture; a plastic scale head coupler was mounted and some imperfections straightened out.

This was done last year, as you can see with the date of the photo taken. This loco then was put aside because other projects for earning money had the priority.
There is still much to do with this loco:
- rear boiler extension into cab
- boiler backhead
- cab floor
- cab interior detailing with lots of brass castings
- drilling headlight
- inserting a LED into it
- painting and decalling
- DCC and sound conversion

And not forget; the hunt for a tender for this loco.

Lutz

Messages In This Thread
Getting Narrow M... ähh... Gauged - by testone - 07-11-2021, 07:36 AM
RE: Getting Narrow M... ähh... Gauged - by Schraddel - 03-12-2022, 05:48 AM
RE: Getting Narrow M... ähh... Gauged - by TMo - 11-19-2022, 11:02 AM
RE: Getting Narrow M... ähh... Gauged - by tompm - 02-24-2024, 05:41 PM