Rescuing and possibly restoring a Layout section
After bringing the new base home from work yesterday, I found that I had assumed that the original base was 1/2" plywood when it was only 3/8". To bring it up level, I had to make a 1/8" filler and tack and glue it overnight:

Then I was able to screw the original part and my new base together from the bottom, using 1" countersink screws.

I suppose my next project will be to fill the gaps between the old and new, but first I was looking at the old trackwork. It's all code 70, hand laid.

Most will be easy to repair, just straighten some of the rails, add some extensions to the edge of the diorama, and call it done. But the rearmost track is a different story.

Most of the rails are badly damaged and will be needing replacement. When I was contemplating this I thought, why not just replace the entire rear track with something a bit different.

I have this old Shinohara Dual gauge turnout that is a exact match for the current one. I'm thinking of relaying the rear track in dual gauge so I can display some of the narrow gauge equipment as well.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rescuing and possibly restoring a Layout section - by cnrglen - 10-28-2021, 10:42 PM