Changing a simple coach
A short time ago I bought a 50’ Roundhouse/Athearn passenger car of Overland series. I would like to make an addition to an existing Virginia & Truckee RR. historic passenger train with a Bachman 4-4-0 and three cars made by Rivarossi. Ok. These models are not the best and not the most detailed models but this train should run as a really historic passenger train while our exhibitions.
I have seen a few pictures of similar trains in the book “History of Virginia & Truckee” picturing all V&T’s passenger cars and one of them #18 is very close to the new model – with the need to modify a good number of details. Look here a picture of the original car. Many years ago this car #18 was rebuilt to a combine however I will use it with the original version as coach as is was built in 1890.

The most remarkable difference is the more modern roof of the original model …

[Image: V_T-coach_01.JPG]

[Image: V_T-coach_02.JPG]

… and there I did make a radically change - the roof ends are cut off.

[Image: V_T-coach_03.JPG]

Preparations for new roof ends ...

[Image: V_T-coach_04.JPG]

[Image: V_T-coach_05.JPG]

[Image: V_T-coach_06.JPG]

[Image: V_T-coach_07.JPG]

… and building the new roof ends step by step from a plywood basic and styrene sheeting.

[Image: V_T-coach_08.JPG]

The roof ends are finished however now I will like to change, replace and add ten or fifteen more parts before I can give the model a new color scheme and lettering for the V&T RR.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.

Messages In This Thread